...

.

Monday, November 09, 2009

Sunshine Show


View from the window.

I'm curating a show of plop art on the roof of the Bari's Sunshine Hotel, next door to the New Museum, for when Jeff Koons' show is up. This show will only be visible from the big window at the landing of the John S. Wotowicz Stairs, inside the New Museum.

It has to be outdoor-okay stuff, nothing that will blow away, and it's fine if it is work that looks sad and miserable after a couple of months out in the cold on a possibly wet roof, possibly covered in snow. We will have no security, no insurance, and are anticipating no institutional support of any kind.

There will be a VIP preview opening the same night as Jeff's, with a BYOB reception on the landing... although it is unlikely any of the participating artists will be allowed in the museum for that. Sorry!

co-curators.

10 comments:

Thaniel said...

you should check my stuff out

http://thanielionlee.com/

Jon said...

sounds great. i was just looking at that prime exhibition space yesterday.

Heart As Arena said...

Holy shit. I think I have a submission idea. Coming to your inbox very soon.

Martin said...

i think for opening night only it would be fun to have mimes with flashlights, making a silent light show and spotlighting the art in the dark.

Kai said...

I think there must be some sorta misunderstanding here, I'm opening a gallery on the fourth floor of the Sunshine Hotel in two weeks. I've got a 204 page lease right here in front of me.

let's talk about the possibility of a rental show.

kalm james said...

Martin,
this sounds like a gas. Let me think about something (though a huge bird turd pops into mind).

Chris Rywalt said...

This makes me wish my art lent itself to this kind of show. If I could come up with something, man, I would.

Martin said...

i'm looking for upbeat ragtag sunshine flop art.

not interested in "fuck you, new museum" statements, not especially interested in painters or photographers who want to make a sculpture. i have a bunch of committed and under-recognized 3D-focused artists already in mind.

Chris Rywalt said...

I'm not clear on what plop art, or flop art for that matter, is, but I'm pretty sure I don't do it. I am, however, looking forward to what does show up.

Warren MacMillan said...

I'm at warrenmacmillan.com and therentproject.blogspot.com