...

.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Charles Giuliano's Maverick Arts

I've previously recommended subscribing to Charles Giuliano's e-mailed art magazine Maverick Arts and now I'm happy to announce that he has established a website!

Make sure you check out the archives, they go all the way back to 2000 and cover shows not just in Boston but also Giuliano's many visits to NYC, Europe, and elsewhere. Caryn Coleman, you would probably like this recent installment, excerpted below, with curator Linda Norden discussing Ed Ruscha.

"I went out to LA,” she said and met with the artist. “Ed had wanted to do Venice for the past 30 years. He loved the building as well as the prestige of the Biennale. He said ‘What do you do?’ I said ‘I think it is crucial that the project be really specific to the space. I knew the building and we talked about its symmetry. Donna (Desalvo) suggested that we leave the rotunda empty which we did. I thought it was important that people not feel that they had seen the work before. He made new work for the installation. I particularly liked the earlier ‘Blue Collar’ series which was done in black and white (based on photographs of industrial landscapes). He said ‘How long will you be in LA’ and I answered ‘About a week.’ He said ‘Come back in 48 hours.’ He subsequently created a new series of works, in color, that relate to the original 1992 series."

Can that be right? He made those Venice Biennale paintings in 48 hours? That must be just some initial sketches or something, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Charles also has BerkshireFineArts.com - be sure to check that out as well.