...

.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Edouard Vuillard

Edouard Vuillard
La Porte Ouverte, 1892, Edouard Vuillard

Still thinking about the two small Vuillards I saw at the Met, after seeing the Fra Angelico show. They were so good.

They were both in a tilted case, side-by-side, part of the Robert Lehman Collection. One is mostly yellow, with a yellowy wallpaper pattern, lamp, and a woman at a piano. The other is mostly green, with a window and a melancholy man. Both paintings are very small and simple, and perfect. I can't find any images on-line or in any books, and don't remember the titles or dates. If someone goes please take a picture for me.

Edouard Vuillard
Mme Vuillard Remplissant Une Carafe, 1904, Edouard Vuillard

8 comments:

Martin said...

I think I scanned that first image a little too light and the second one a little too dark?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I forget about Vuillard and how magical he can be. Corny just mentioned him on the blog today...I posted a thing on Redon. Can't remember if you had time to see that? It's still up. I hope you are not mad at me for being defensive on Militant Art Bitch's blog. If you are, I hope we can work it out without fists because you look real real buff and I can tell you would kick me around roughly.

Edna said...

Hmmm... I'd like to see you two hash it out via my blog instead.

Love,
Edna

Martin said...

I was buff, but that was almost three months ago at the end of rafting season and now I am covered in bedsores.

Mountain Man! You are one of my best friends. Whoever you are.

Anonymous said...

Bedsores!!! Martin, this is terrible news, I have seen pictures of such and they look very moldy. Good luck finding the right balm. I am glad we are pals and you are not sore at me (oopsy, sorry!!!).

We are bosom ether friends forever.

Anonymous said...

bonnard kicks vuillards ass don't you think?

Martin said...

Right now I'm digging Vuillard.

Anonymous said...

Les Nabis, such a genius in color. Dont forget Bonnard or Vallotton.