...

.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Travis Conner


Travis Conner is showing at Nonesuch this month. This is the second show of his that I've seen, and this one is as rewarding as the first.

The beautiful young girl rising up out of the water above is the daughter of the woman in the smaller picture.


These two are maybe my favorites. The one on the left is very hard to see, even in the gallery. It is of somebody jumping on a trampoline, but the trampoline is not in the picture and the person is bent over... with the sun in the background you can only make out arms and legs. It is just a blurry glimpse of an anonymous person, mid-air, enjoying life. The mostly bare trees and sunlight are very specific. I keep thinking about time and the passing of time with these works, especially this one. I like that it is a struggle to see.

The one on the right looks like cherry blossoms. In Japan we have hanami, everybody goes to spend the day admiring the cherry blossoms, they bloom and fall so quickly. The newspapers and tv even follow the "cherry blossom front", the wave of blooming blossoms from down in Okinawa up to Hokkaido.



3 comments:

Michael said...

Lenticular loveliness...

She's into NASCAR?! said...

Do you have more pictures from that show? I am so upset that I never went down for his gallery shows, and now I'll never get the chance...

Martin said...

no, i think that's all i have from the nonesuch show. i took them with my cellphone.

but here are links to a lot more travis photos and shows -

http://anaba.blogspot.com/2008/01/searching-for-travis-conner.html