...

.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

some local-ish artist news and some local other stuff

David Herbert is included in what looks like an excellent group show at Alona Kagan. How would you like to be in a show with Bellmer, Breton, Duchamp, and Warhol?? That would be nuts! I really like Colleen Asper's painting The Portrait Of The Artist As President on the gallery's website, but couldn't figure out how to "lift it". I can't even figure out how to link to the specific exhibition information, only the gallery's homepage.

Me - I will be included in a group show opening near the end of the month in NYC, but am not sure exactly with what or most of the other details. I will tell you that it is nothing I applied for or ever sent any slides for and that I've never met anyone involved with it or ever been to the space, and that it has absolutely nothing to do with this blog or the curator ever having read this blog, and will not include my paintings, photographs, or anything of mine blog or internet related. In fact, I don't have to do anything or even send anything. Isn't that weird? Have you ever been in a show like that? So easy!

Sorry I am being mysterious, but I am really not sure what is happening.

Meridith Pingree (wife of Kai Vierstra) has a sculpture at scope with James Nicholson Gallery.

Eric Sall is one of five artists included in a show at ATM called ATM Art Fair. Someone in a recent PaintersNYC thread said "I saw a big excellent abstract painting at atm last week in a group show. It had a big lime green area. It might still be up. It wasn't a Fox painting. I can't remember who did it. Anyone?". I wonder if that is Eric's painting? I think so. The show closes March 18th.

2006 Trawick Prize: Bethesda Contemporary Art Awards - The deadline to submit your application and slides is April 10, 2006. Open only to artists in DC, MD, and VA. Visual Art Center of Richmond curator Ashley Kistler is one of the jurors.

The Black Factory - I've spoken with the production/tour manager of The Black Factory and they would like to come to Richmond. We need a host organization, basically an outdoor space to set up and access to that nearby building's electricity, plus a fee to cover their expenses. Any ideas? It can be an arts organization or a supermarket, whatever. I am thinking that if there is a place that can provide the space and electricity but doesn't have the money for the fee that it can be collected some other way. This is very do-able. I'm willing to stay involved and help cobble something together or just step away if 1708 Gallery, Plant Zero, Ukrop's, VCU, VMFA, or VACR would like to host.

Daily Constitutional - The call for submission deadline for Issue II is quickly approaching, April 1st, 2006. Daily Constitutional is now available at Printed Matter. If you can't make this deadline get ready for Issue III.

Richmond Outdoor Sculpture - The proposal deadline is very very close, March 15th!! Here is the entry form PDF.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woah- I've never heard of Colleen Asper before- that piece is awesome! Edna should see that!

Anonymous said...

you might ask Curated Culture about hosting the Black Factory. They just started a new spin off group and are looking for things to do.

Kai said...

Mystery?
"Work In Progress" D.U.M.B.O. Arts Center
Artists: Martin Bromirski, Tom Burckhardt, Chrissy Conant, Byron Kim, Joao Onofre, Douglas Paulson & Ward Shelley
Curator: Jessica Hough, Curatorial Director of the Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum
March 25th-May 7th
Opening Reception March 25th, 6-9pm

I picked up the postcard at the Armory today. Meridith and I got in free by rushing the gate and never looking back to see what all the fuss was about. I guess I should feel bad about denying an arts organization its $20, but I don't. Anyhoo, congratulations on the show, are you coming into town for it?

Anonymous said...

Kai - What??? There are other people in my show???