...

.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

sort of reviewed

The Philly show got reviewed on Fallon and Rosof's artblog!

Unfortunately it seems Libby didn't like my work very much - no picture and only a mention at the end along with the other stuff she didn't like. I did get a link to anaba though, so hello and welcome Philadelphia! I went to University of the Arts (Painting, 1990) and lived in Philly from 1986 to 1994, and don't feel at all like an out-of-towner. I love Philadelphia!

In fact, I had a show during the summer of 2002 at the Philadelphia Art Alliance during which I sublet a student's apartment and took a seasonal job at the Philadelphia Zoo - I was a swan-boat attendant. I was 30-something, my boss was 23, and all my co-workers were high school students. Shout-outs to Tyrell (Little Head), Whitney, Mara and Tyree! The Philadelphia Zoo is the oldest zoo in the country! An elephant threw a rock at me dead-on! Hippos are psycho-monsters! Red-flanked duikers are the sweetest!

I don't think Roberta and Libby had their artblog going at that point, but I did send my complimentary zoo tickets to Roberta and Susan Hagen care of the papers they write for hoping for a review - to no avail. Sozanski wrote a review though, and a good one! Thanks, I didn't even send tickets!

My contribution to the current Philadelphia show consists of the following three paintings, have a look.

1. this one , very hard to see in this image, but there is a little figure on top of that hill trying to get your attention.

2. this one

3. this one, and here's a detail.

I think Libby is a little harsh in her "scrap-paper collage" comment. There's no paper at all on #2 and really not very much on the other two. A lot of stuff though, including sand, thread, acousti-tex, mica, and paint. Man, art is so full of highs and lows - this show is curated from all the artists on inliquid so I should be grateful that I was one of those selected, but not getting across to the reviewers is a bummer. Thanks for going though, Libby.

P.S. to Caryn Coleman, look, #'s 1 and 3 have trees in them! I love trees!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a scrap-paper collager (and drawer), I think you should be proud! The work looks good from here.

and I want to hear more about the swan-boat...

wwc
www.wcraghead.com