...

.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Christoph Ruckhaberle

Christoph Ruckhaberle
Christoph Ruckhaberle at Skidmore College's Schick Art Gallery - Christoph Ruckhaberle did a month-long residency at Skidmore, followed by an exhibition of the new stuff he made.

The public was welcome to come and visit to see the work-in-progress, during special Monday-Thursday visiting hours, which I thought was pretty neat but never did... LAME.

I did go to his lecture on my birthday. Some interesting things noted:

- He doesn't use models, all of the figures are done from imagination, but he used to do a lot of life modeling in college. He recommended that the "best artist to look at if you want to organize in groups is Poussin".

- That he is "always working for shows". He isn't just making paintings and then getting a show, but rather works from one show to the next... first looking at the space, going to visit the space... THEN stretching the canvas.

- He was adamant in stating "I am not a concept artist, AT ALL". That he is not working with ideas... "that's not how I work at all".

- I'm not sure if this was in relation to a question asked about the masks, but he said that he is interested in kabuki and Noh theatre (did i ever post my Noh pictures? i think i have to).

His English is excellent, I hadn't known that he did some early undergrad work (in animation) in California.

Christoph Ruckhaberle


The person I visited the show with said that the subjects of these paintings are like "wooden figures caught in a state of time... frozen... and they are not happy".

Yeah, they do look like they are made of wood, like wooden puppets... and filled with longing.

Christoph Ruckhaberle
Three Pinocchios.

Christoph Ruckhaberle
Paint-spattered wooden dreamer.

I saw his show last year at Zach Feuer.

2 comments:

Hans said...

Here are 16 more cool works by Ruckhäberle

http://www.galeriekleindienst.de/kuenstler,christoph_ruckhaeberle,123_5.html

Barnaby said...

mmmmm mmmmmm good!