Saw this Mitch Epstein
photo like 4 different times in one week... first I saw it on Tyler's blog
, then I saw it on Paddy's blog
, then I saw it in the exhibition at Sikkema Jenkins
(briefly, because the show was a snooze).... THEN, I saw this HUGE one at night in a big window.
This big one was the best, because the photo already had such a stageset feel... seeing it in those footlights at real backdrop size seems right. Plus - the daytime photo, spotlit, at NIGHT... something about all that... I like the two opposing light sources, the sun vs. the spotlights... makes the picture more eerie.Constable
are both tooo much of a stretch for me, sorry. Maybe X-Files,
okay.Some Chelsea YUCK!s, SNOOZEs and So-Whats - YUCK!s: Julie Evans
at Julie Saul -
they were GUSHING over these paintings on Winkleman's blog
... they make me feel ill.Christopher Tanner at Pavel Zoubok
- i vomited. which sucks, because i like zoubok's john evans
, so i was hoping this would be a good one.Susanne Kuhn at Goff + Rosenthal
- i can't decide if this is a yuck, a snooze, or a so-what.So-Whats:Borf
video at eyebeam
- oooo, look at me push over a port-a-potty. i'm a bad boy. look at me. hey, you're not looking at me! please pet me.
(this one is a snooze/so-what)SNOOZES:Amy Cutler
at Leslie Tonkonowgroup show at CRG -
i tried to get into them, but failed. Tomory Dodge is definitely better than last time
... in 7/2005 i liked Dufresne's small pieces at Monya Rowe
better than the big ones at Lehmann Maupin;
the pieces here are all big. maybe she was my favorite in the show (?).
all four of them are okay, but they all remind of someone else (in a negative way), and all of them seem to be missing something... a spark or something.Torben Giehler at Leo Koenig
- BUMMer when you go to a gallery prepared to really like whatever they are showing... and it is a snooze. my bad timing.
um... some are okay from far away?group show
at Alona Kagan
- (can't find it on-line)Saeko Takagi
- maybe with a second visit i would like it more?Elliot Hundley at Andrea Rosen
- i'm almost
there... but again, that spark.PLUS... the UNDECIDED:Lamar Peterson at Freericks & Frieser
- some weird stuff happening.UPDATE: i've decided i really like it
at Luhring Augustine
- some are seriously unbelievably horrible yuck/so-whats, but a few are interesting